When the M-Files Desktop client is installed, it installs a custom URI handler. This allows M-Files to react to links that start “m-files://”. Common usage scenarios include:
- Displaying objects and files Showing the object, the object’s metadata card, or opening the object (read-only or for editing).
- Displaying views Linking directly to a view by ID and, optionally, virtual folder.
- Creating new objects Opening the metadata card for a new file, optionally pre-filled with properties.
- Searching for objects Executing a search to find objects by various property values.
Full details and samples are available in the M-Files URL properties document, available in our online knowledgebase.
In order to use M-Files URLs, the M-Files Desktop client must be installed on the computer, and a connection to the vault must have already been set up.
M-Files Web supports direct links in the following scenarios:
- Displaying objects Linking directly to an object by vault GUID and object GUID.
- Downloading files Downloading a specific file by vault GUID, object GUID, file GUID and object version.
- Displaying a view’s contents Linking directly to a view by ID and, optionally, virtual folder.
Full details and samples are available in the Creating M-Files Web URLs document, available in our online knowledgebase.
Linking to objects, files or views will require the user to log into the M-Files Web Access, if appropriate, prior to accessing the relevant item.